November 21, 2017

England, Day Five-Salisbury

Salisbury is perfect.
And on the second day in Salisbury we:

-Had a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST
-Climbed the cathedral and up the spire
-Went for high tea
-I felt sick
-Went back and down for a second
-Wandered the town again
-Found a restaurant-NOT a pub to eat at
-Got lost
-Went to a very old pub for drinks after dinner
-Made it back to the b&b for showers and sleep
-Slept
My favorite thing to do in England-drink tea and stare out the window at the english world. Also note the church spire in the background...yeah I climbed that.

Here's the day with a little more detail:

We awoke (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this...), threw on our clothes and headed down to the family table for breakfast. They stagger all the guests so each guest has a 15 minute increment time slot. We were first served tea, then toast, then jam and butter, fresh fruit salad (this was available upon arrival, the host made it), and then our breakfast was placed infront of our faces. I was in heaven. Everything tasted good. And everything was devoured. We chatted with the guests, again placing "my sister" or "our parents" in as many statements or convos as possible. Everyone was very friendly and it was very enjoyable.

Me outside of the cathedral (taken on the 1st day in Salisbury)
Me in the cathedral
After breakfast, we finished getting ready, and then we headed to the church to catch the next tour. I forgot to mention this for the previous post, but we did wander the church yard the day before. The church is home to one of the magna-cartas and therefore we took a peak at it and this very adorable elderly man told us all the history behind it and I felt like I was listening to my grandpa talk and it made me tear up. So I left the tent....where the magna-cartas were held. ANYWAYS, back to this post. We paid, went inside and quickly wander the church before meeting up with our tour group. Up into the spire we went. It was honestly one of the best cathedral tours I have done. We learned how old the church was, when certain parts were finished, and what parts had been reinforced or redone throughout the 800 years it has been sitting on the grounds of Salisbury. Absolutely wonderful. I may write about the cathedral separately because it was just so interesting and definitely would eat up this whole post. Basically we learned a ton, I got height sickness due to my fear of heights and the fact that I hate climbing things and then looking up...barf....my palms are sweating right now. I did get a pin though!! "I made it to the top!" I currently is pinned on my kitchen recipe book holder.
Up in the spire, 200 FT UP.

Now, how did I get sick? Well in these cathedrals there are spiral stairs, and loads of them....that's what made me nauseous. Just looking at something spinning...yuck.

We finished the tour 2 hours later and decided to get tea at the church cafe. We ordered a pot of tea and split a scone with jam. I think we got a brownie, or we thought about it. I can't remember. But we did have jam, clotted cream, and SCONES. So obviously I was very very happy. Still a bit motion sickness, but happy.
In the cloisters
View from the above photo.
The Magna Carta is kept here.
The flooring from the photo above. Stunning.
After touring the church, my sister and I decided to do the town walk that our host had suggested and made for guests. That ate up a good hour or two. It was fun and full of pretty old buildings. Honestly, my sister and I could not get enough of the old buildings. There was still a lot of panic when we would have to cross the road, and sometimes we lucked out with someone else crossing with us. Although in England, people don't wait for the "green man" to tell them to cross. If there are no cars, then you just go. We got the hang of it towards the middle of the trip.
This houses widowed or unmarried women
A beautiful driveway
Just beautiful.
We were both pretty hungry and obviously that meant we couldn't agree on where to eat or what to eat. We managed to find a non-pub option, which was italian. It was actually super good and we were seated immediately considering that it was Friday night and packed. We split pizza and a salad, I also ordered fries. We both got the house wines. It was reasonably priced and everyone was so nice. It was a good option, but we still wish we had gone back to the pub we went to the night before, (although, we did check and the hottie servers weren't there that night, hence the other option...). We finished up and decided the night was young and we should go find the pub that my sister's friend recommended us try out since it was the oldest pub in Salisbury. We got lost.
Salisbury is adorable.
We got lost trying to find the place. We had passed by it multiple times during the daylight, but at night we were so turned around. We finally found it after about 30 minutes of walking in circles. Again, we had no idea if we just seated ourselves or if we were supposed to wait. We went with seating ourselves and then were stopped by the waitress who then cleared a table in a very very small snug with 4 crowded tables. We decided to stand out in the hall (narrow as ever) while we waited. We felt very very warm and awkward. Because we are. We scrambled to the seats, my sister went to get drinks and I sat there trying not to get on my phone, but I decided to bite the bullet and use it since I felt odd just sitting in the corner. I felt like Cameron Diaz in The Holiday when she's waiting for Jude Law's character to spot her in the pub except I was with my sister and I was waiting for my drink not Law. Sadly.

She finally returned and we cheers'ed ourselves, and then everyone in the small confined snug left. And then a drunk solo man walked in and started heavily breathing next to my sister (he was at the table next to us and very very drunk). My sister and I were trying to not explode from laughing but it was hilarious and so Annie was like trying to suggest what to do the next day and I couldn't contain my laughter. AT. ALL. I was legit crying. My sides hurt. And I could not breathe. My sister grabbed a book on landscape in Salisbury to not join in on my laughter but she was failing miserably too. We eventually finished our drinks and scampered out of the room as to avoid anymore of the drunken man breathing thing.

We made it back to the b&b, showered, watched Escape to the Country on TELEVISION. Ate digestives, did face masks, packed our stuff and went to sleep.

It was a great day.

No comments: