December 23, 2017

England, Day Seven-York

Ah the York day.

We woke up a bit tired and a bit sluggish, but we had a train to catch and no time to doddle. We made a quick breakfast and skeedoodled out the door with luggage in hand. We caught the tube, to the train, caught the train, and sat down relieved that we had made all the right transportation options.
The train was a bit rocky and we ate our food immediately, but other than that it was a great train trip. The countryside was absolutely gorgeous. Annie read up on some Rick Steves travel stuff while I listened to my music and stared out at the sheep and cathedrals gracing the hillsides.

Two hours later we arrived in York. And I knew it would be much colder than London, as previous experience 3 years prior (I was wearing a dress and had to do a quick change in the restroom.). We bundled up a little more and headed out to find our b&b. It always feels awkward dragging one's luggage through the streets and trying to navigate your way past slow and fast walkers. But we managed, through chattering teeth, we managed.

Once we made it to the b&b, and had a slight awkward interaction with the employee, we put our bags down, had a cup of tea, grabbed another layer of clothing and decided to go wander the town. I believe we went to the shambles, and just walked around taking loads of photos. We had 3 nights in York so we felt less pressure to see everything, plus I had been there before, so I had a slight handle on what we needed to see.

After wandering for a while, we went to York Minster for the evensong service. Which we were late to. But it's okay, we just had to wait for everyone to enter the church (choir and leaders) and then we climbed into the back of the church. We sang beautiful hymns and just took it all in. It was absolutely wonderful.

After the service, we were absolutely starving. We couldn't decide where to eat, but we ended up finding a pub on the way back to our b&b. Funny thing, we stumbled into the exact same pub that my parents and I had stumbled into on our first night too. We grabbed a table, and ordered some fabulous food. I ordered a curry dish, Annie ordered something else (I can't remember). We each ordered from the bar as well, cheers ourselves and continued with announcing loudly and as often as we could that we were sisters. The bartender was massively attractive. And then I realized he looked exactly like a guy I dated and I was like, oh that's why I think you are attractive. Cool. But wait, YOU'RE BRITISH. EVEN BETTER.

After dinner, we headed home, stopping off at Sainsburys to get some nibblets and peruse the aisles. We didn't find much but we found some stuff. After that, we headed home and watched some classic british television, facetimed our parents who were in France, and then we hit the hay. We had a busy day planned for the next day. But the first day in York was a success.

Love that beautiful city.

No comments: